Monday 18 February 2013

A visit to Graystark Hall Orphanage

 Valentines weekend had been planned months in advance with a cheap and cheerful £12 hotel sale. However, the whole stay was pretty much weather-dependent and after the amount of snow, wind and rain the UK had been getting over the previous weeks, we really weren't sure whether we would ever make it down to Cardiff. 

 Thankfully, Saturday arrived alongside the sun beaming high in the sky so off I drove with Luke down to Wales, location stops in hand. 

Bottom Image: Courtesy of BBC
 Our first location was Troy House, Monmouth. We by-pass the town on the way to Cardiff so how we have missed the stop in the past is beyond belief. A cheeky 5 minute detour off the beaten-track later we arrived. 


Bottom Image: Courtesy of BBC
 Cast your minds back to Doctor Who Series 6, and the second of the two-parter Day of the Moon. Canton Delaware and Amy Pond head off to the children's orphanage in search for a missing girl. Here, Amy is later taken by the Silents once she finds the little girls room.  

 I would recommend that those who wish to stop at this location in the future take extra care, unless you have a flashy 4x4 car or are prepared to walk from the main road. My baby Clio unfortunately got battered and bruised through the dirt track leading to the mansion, which is surrounded by farmland and a fully operational working farm. Therefore, the route was full of potholes, pools of water and all sorts of gravel, stones and mud. My bad. I don't think I will be venturing along there again! 

 Anyway, following me totally mastering the slightly off-road driving experience we finally reached the gothic gates, hopped out of the car and landed right into the horrifying squelch of... mud - A lot of it -And in my best shoes. Yes, a top tip if you fancy heading to the spot: PACK THOSE WELLIES! A quick jump out of the car and a few snapshots later then amounted to two dogs hurtling towards the gates from the inside barking like crazy. I suppose it made a change from the eerie silence. We did consider ringing the bell and asking if we could have access to the inside of the grounds for some pictures, but the dogs really startled us so we headed off. 

Note - the amount of mud covering the ground behind me!
 We stopped at two further Doctor Who locations during our little weekend getaway. The next was Fields House from Blink and the final spot, a filming location from Fathers Day. I will try my best to put together posts on both of these as soon as possible! In the meantime, I hope you all have a wonderful week and are starting to get over them horrid Monday Blues!

If you fancy heading to Troy House, Monmouth:
  • Drive carefully and watch out for uneven surfaces/potholes which could seriously damage your car.
  • Park close to the main road and walk down to the house (takes approx 5-10 minutes).
  • Wear wellies/boots.
  • Be aware of the guard dogs. 

Note: The Clio is now all well and good, and since our trip has been cleaned inside and out. Sustained minor scratches to the front of the car - it was all worth it!

To find more about this historic building, you can head to the wikipedia site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_House  *slaps her University Higher-Educated wrists*


Thanks for reading

5 comments:

  1. Did you see any Silents? Although I suppose you wouldn't remember...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was deserted down there... nothing but two dogs barking hysterically behind the gate. I did find mysterious tally markings all over my arms when I got back to the car though. Creepy.

      Delete
  2. It's worth stopping in Monmouth to have a look at some of the other locations filmed for Doctor Who. I remember sitting in a local pub whilst watching walkthroughs for a Christmas special featuring Cybermen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'll keep that in mind as I think quite a lot of the town was used in 'The Unquiet Dead' as well. Definitely worth a stop next time, plus the town looks lovely :-)

      Delete
    2. Yes, that's right, quite a few locations at the top of the town were used. It's a nice place, hopefully it'll be used for more Doctor Who, it's about time! :) I recently moved into a place virtually next door to Troy House and from my living room window I can see it through the trees. I intend to have a chat with the caretakers soon and see if I can have a wander around the old place.

      Delete